What is CMP Blood Test?
CMP letters stands for: Comprehensive Metabolic Panel (CMP)
and mean: A collection of laboratory tests to show how well is your body metabolism generally.
Medical lab terms: CMP Chem 12 Chemistry Panel Chemistry Screen SMA 12 SMA 20
What is BMP Blood Test?
BMP letters stands for: The basic metabolic panel (BMP)
which mean: A package of laboratory test to help doctor know the current status of a person’s metabolism,
Laboratory short forms: BMP Chemistry Panel Chemistry Screen Chem 7 SMA 7 SMAC7 electrolyte panel
What type of tests included in C M P test Panel?
14 measurements include:
- Albumin blood test level: measures how well your liver is making the proteins that your body needs.
- Alanine aminotransferase (ALT) level ALT is a liver enzyme specific for liver cells disorders.
- Alkaline Phosphatase blood test: for highly damaged liver cells..
- Aspartate aminotransferase (AST) blood test: aid with ALT test to diagnose liver diseases.
- Blood urea nitrogen (BUN) blood test: As kidney function decreases, the BUN level rises.
- Calcium blood and urine tests: for kidney stones and well excretion of excess calcium.
- Carbon dioxide (Bicarbonate) – Your kidneys and lungs balance the levels of carbon dioxide, bicarbonate, and carbonic acid in the blood. Carbon dioxide levels can be used to help diagnose kidney disease.
- Chloride test: it is an electrolyte, high chloride indicate kidney disease.
- Creatinine blood test: measure of how well the kidneys are removing wastes and excess fluid from the blood.
- Glucose blood levels: Renal glycosuria occurs when the renal tubules fail to reabsorb all glucose at a level that is normal.
- Potassium blood test: an electrolyte when high refers to Kidney disease.
- Sodium blood level: useful to know if the kidneys are properly removing sodium from the body or not.
- Total bilirubin blood test:high level means obstruction in liver and appear as yellowish skin and eyes which is called jaundice.
- Total protein:measures the amount of protein in your blood. The two main proteins found in the blood are globulins and albumin.
4 Calculated Tests in CMP test panel:
- Albumin/Globulin Ratio (calculated): The A/G ratio
- BUN/Creatinine Ratio (calculated): high level means a decrease in the flow of blood to the kidneys.
- Globulin (calculated) blood test: Low globulin levels can be a sign of liver damage or other conditions.
- Estimated GFR blood test: A GFR below 60 is a sign that the kidneys are not working properly. A GFR below 15 indicates kidney failure.
What type of tests included in B M P test Panel?
8 measurements most of them are electrolytes.
- Calcium blood test.
- Carbon dioxide test: measure of how well your kidneys and lungs are working.
- Chloride test measure related to how your body manages fluids.
- Creatinine levels can tell how well your kidneys are working.
- Glucose blood level: how much sugar is in you blood
- Potassium test
- Sodium blood levels measure if your blood cells have enough water to work well.
- Urea nitrogen, or BUN
Is fasting required for a CMPand BMP blood test?
Fasting is required for the blood glucose test that is included in the CMP and BMP
Fasting for a blood test is defined as no consumption of food or beverages other than water for 6- 10 hours before testing.